Sunday, March 15, 2015

Ever since I was little, my parents always told me how important it was to go school and choose a career as soon as possible. When you get into high school that’s about all they ask you as a senior what is your major. At first I said I wanted to go into the military, then chose Psychology and then I came to the conclusion that I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do. So I went to a community college and took general education. As I came to end of my two years at Valley College, I still wasn’t 100%. Thankfully I had a job originally at Customer Service for Ashley Furniture. My part time job became full time and school eventually disappeared.  I am now an assistant, on top of the normal clerical work I deal with advertising throughout all of California. I like what I do, it’s fun, it allows me to travel and is never a boring day. I am soon going to be 25 and finally decided what I want to do. Now I want a real job in the marketing field and all of them require a degree. So this is my first year at Brandman, actually my first year at a University. I’m excited, nervous and eager to start.


This class is very interesting, because the internet has changed dramatically. I remember having to do a research paper for classes at Valley and actually feeling deterred from using the internet as a reference. I want to say I would only use the required amount and the rest would be books.  Even at my position now I research demographics, and newspapers, look for events, contact radio stations. And some of these websites aren’t even current. I do find it harder to find the truth in websites. Like the book says "not all information is equal." This class will actually help me with my current job and also personally. One of my goals is to run the marathon, as I started to look up health and stretching techniques I thought i found a good form of running. I went into a running center where they record your steps and told me it was not the proper way and showed me that it could actually hurt me. i look forward to becoming a better researcher in this new age.

2 comments:

  1. I wish you luck in journey though out college. Its nice to meet you! i graduated high school in 3 years and i had no idea what i wanted to do either. So i went active duty army. I got out in 2013 to go to school full time and it was way to hard being dual military and having kids. Im still not sure of what i want to do its between nursing and therapy. I originally chose nursing because i know its high demand and i would be able to get a job any where we move. So i started off by getting my CNA and taking general studies. Then i changed last year to Social Work because i know my passion is to be a therapist but the schooling is pretty lengthy and I'm not sure of how guaranteed a job is in that field. This is my first year at Brandman as well. How are you liking it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jessica, I like Brandman so far. I just hope I can keep up with work and school. I feel like all of my spare time does into reading and homework. How do you like it? Are all of your classes online?

      Delete